I grew up in one of those Judeo-Christian homes that apparently strike terror in the hearts of the likes of Betty Friedan, Alan Grayson and Kathryn Joyce. My parents never had sex until they got married to each other. Theirs is an enduring...

View my complete profile

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Another e-mail I sent to friends...

Hey! I wonder how many of you in this circle are not yet familiar with the name Terri Schiavo. Right now, in our land, Terri Schiavo should be a household name! I don't know how many of you are aware that the Netherlands just recently codified the slaughter of their own disabled children. I write codified, because, no matter how a government legislates, the selective killing of disabled children will never be legal. It will always be against The Law.

But Terri Schiavo... Terri Schiavo doesn't live in the Netherlands. She lives in Florida. An American court has ordered her death, based on the assumption that, being severely disabled, she has the unalienable right to be dead if she wants to. She doesn't want to, but that's hard to prove to this one-track court, because she's been denied speech therapy for the last fifteen years, and finds it extremely difficult to make intelligible sounds.

Thanks to Terri's extremely dedicated parents, she survived the last two attempts on her life, made by this Florida court. Thanks to Randall Terry's expertise in attracting media attention, the second attempt to execute Terri by dehydration and starvation, made national news.

A third attempt at her dehydration death is underway right now. It began, in fact, at 1:45 yesterday afternoon, when her parents were removed from her hospice room, and her feeding tube was removed, contrary to an order of Congress, but under the orders of a local probate judge. (Congress served Terri with a subpoena this morning, to appear at an investigation on March 28th. The Florida probate judge can't seem to read "right to life shall not be infringed without due process", but maybe he can read "federal witness protection"- well, apparently not, because he ordered the food and water supply cut off anyway.)

So Terri is dying of thirst, and will be in great torment in a matter of days, because some imagined right-to-die trumps the written right-to-life in the mind (and rulings) of a Florida probate judge, because more than one Florida government agency is tied up with obligations to please political interests, because Terri's husband is desperate to be rid of her, for likely more than one compelling reason, and ultimately because our land is under the judgement of the Lord.

The Lord may be calling us to humble ourselves, pray and repent, and to make a Scriptural appeal (Luke 18:5), or to speak truth as the Old Testament prophets did to those in positions of authority. Maybe the Lord is calling us to go and stand with Terri at the hospice in Florida (Matthew 25:35-45). Ignoring the situation just doesn't seem Scriptural:

If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works? Proverbs 24:10-12

Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard. Proverbs 21:13

Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy. Proverbs 31:8-9

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: Deuteronomy 30:19

For more information, to aid in speaking truth, making a wise appeal, and finding the correct officials to present it to, here are some links. There are many, many officials in different layers of government involved at this point. Because the case involves the taking of a life by a state official (without a conviction of any capital crime), it is constitutional for the federal government to be involved.

www.livejournal.com/~hubbyanddad (Our own blog.)
www.terrisfight.org (The official website of Terri's parents- very reputable!)
http://zimp.org/stuff (These items are documents from the court proceedings- they used to be on terrisfight.org. There are some strong allegations against Terri's husband here.)
http://hyscience.typepad (Best site for accurate up-to-the-minute information about Terri's situation.)
www.blogsforterri.com (Terri's supporters gather here.)
www.theempirejournal.com (In-depth investigations into the corruption that made this fiasco possible.)

For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.Matthew 25:35-45

With love,

1of14
Written and sent at the request of my dad. Please forgive this intrusion into your email circle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home