I grew up in one of those Judeo-Christian homes that apparently strike terror in the hearts of the likes of Betty Friedan, Alan Grayson and Kathryn Joyce. My parents never had sex until they got married to each other. Theirs is an enduring...

View my complete profile

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Three new piano students

"I need to start teaching so-and-so to play by ear."

"Oh, don't teach her!"

"I need to. Otherwise-"

"I mean, don't teach her how."

When my piano students practice every day, I love to talk about their progress. Besides, the input I get from my family influences my teaching method. So I was talking...

"Why is it that the children of the piano teacher...", she dropped off. "You know, like the doctor's children, and the children of the shoemaker don't have any shoes?"

"And the plumber's wife has a leaky faucet?", I finished. "Do you want piano lessons?"

A resounding yes came from all around the room. Never mind the fact that I don't have any children.

P.S. I plan to teach them to play by ear too, even if I have to teach them how to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home