I grew up in one of those Judeo-Christian homes that apparently strike terror in the hearts of the likes of Betty Friedan, Alan Grayson and Kathryn Joyce. My parents never had sex until they got married to each other. Theirs is an enduring...

View my complete profile

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Who Chooses This Awful Stuff?

Face it. There are sixteen people in this little house. We live here. This doesn't leave a lot of room for books. Hence, we frequent the local library.

Enter an imaginary world of brothers and sisters who can't stand each other, young people who mouth-off to their parents, parents who can't live with each other, divorce-in-progress, you know, a world of crass images and foul mouths, just the sort of world every American kid should aspire to. Not.

I did manage to come home with a stack of books last time, but I think we'll have read everything there worth reading by the end of the summer- without doing a whole lot of reading.

How do you get the job of choosing books for the county library? I think Izzy said someone should start a private library. Maybe someone should start a couple thousand private libraries.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have often wondered the same thing-how do you get the job of choosing books for the county library?

I know it's a job I sometimes wish I had! To have the funds to buy good books, and the space to put them once bought... and then to have these books available for others to enjoy as well.. I can dream, can't I? :P

A private library.. I like that idea! :) Any volunteers to start one? It has to begin somewhere.. why not here? :D

7:58 PM  
Blogger 1of14 said...

Thanks, Rebekah, for visiting my blog. I'd love to share that video of the Duggars with you. You prefer DVD or VHS?

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tiffany,

I am happy to visit your blog... another way that we can keep in touch! :D I like, too, that I don't have to have a blog page of my own in order to comment. :)

We can play either type of recording... DVD would probably be the preferred one here, though. :D

I'll be contacting you soon about the teaching opportunity that you mentioned to my mom. It does sound interesting. :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Found your blog surfing....and I can't agree with you more. I was very naive one time taking our oldest to the library when he was smaller. He checked out a book on Paul Revere (1970's) and in the back seat of the car coming home was reading and out popped a curse word! I was horrified. What was THAT doing in the children's section? I asked the librarian about it and, of course, her response was that I was over reacting and it wasn't as bad as all that. So since then I am very watchful of what they bring home. And you know, a private library is a wonderful idea...why hasn't anyone thought about that before now??

~Kristi

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, why don't you and Rebecca start a library?
I think it's a great idea. You could have a video section too. May you could do it here at the church?

11:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree! I have to read a lot of trash to find some rare gems at the local library. I try to look for 1, old books, and 2, books with maps inside the cover. Doesn't always work, but it helps. :) I have been considering putting a list of authors I like on my blog for a while now. Guess I best get to it. Lizie SHINE ON!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home