I grew up in one of those Judeo-Christian homes that apparently strike terror in the hearts of the likes of Betty Friedan, Alan Grayson and Kathryn Joyce. My parents never had sex until they got married to each other. Theirs is an enduring...

View my complete profile

Monday, December 17, 2007

The French say,

"If you don't do politics, politics will do you", said a sandy-blond haired man on a bicycle at Florence and Lakewood, in front of the oldest McDonald's in the country. "Ron Paul is a great man. I might even vote."

I was blessed. I could see an unbelievable swell of intelligent support for Ron Paul on the Internet, but in my home state, where over 27,000 people voted for a man currently serving a life sentence, where my neighbor informed me that she just goes down the ballot and votes for all the girls, and if there aren't any girls in the race, she picks the name she likes the most, I did not expect much. I thought some apathetic motorists might like the candidate's name a little better if they saw a lot of it, and that's what we were there for.

Okay. I knew there was support, but I totally did not expect twenty people holding official and unofficial Ron Paul signs, and waving American flags would be made so welcome on a busy intersection in Downey.

From 11:30 in the morning, until 2:00pm, California drivers showed their support for Ron Paul by honking cheerily, and waving, giving us the thumbs-up (yes, thumbs), or raising a fist for victory, while grinning broadly. We liked the diesel truck horns the best.

The enthused supporters came with just about every turn of the signal, one or two at a time. They drove new humvees, mini-vans, cadillacs, sports cars, pick-up trucks and cars too old and dented to recognize. They were aged, middle-aged, young and very young. They were Hispanic, African-American, Caucasian and Asian.

Drivers and pedestrians asked us for literature, and then thanked us earnestly.

We are not just the Internet. Ron Paul is not gonna go away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home